Brazo de Mercedez is a super yummy treat that both the young and old alike could not resist. It is a delightfully delicious snack and considered PinoyFlix a first-class dessert for parties and special occasions.
For the filling:
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely ground and toasted cashew nuts
For the Meringue:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 egg whites
- Put the milk in a saucepan and place over low heat. Simmer until the milk is reduced to 2 cups. Stir constantly and add the vanilla extract, butter and sugar. Take away from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks. Pour a little amount of the milk to the egg yolks and stir to mix evenly. Add the spoonfuls of the mixture gradually back into the saucepan while beating constantly. Keep on stirring to prevent curdling.
- Add the cashew nuts and go on cooking over low heat while constantly stirring. Remove from the heat when mixture has the same consistency of a paste. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat the egg whites until it becomes stiff. Add the sugar gradually while beating continuously. Add the vanilla to the mixture.
- Use parchment paper to line a large cookie sheet then use butter to grease. Spread the meringue evenly on top of the cookie sheet. Bake in the oven until it turns brown.
- Spread the filling on top of the baked meringue evenly. Roll to form a log.
- Brush butter on top and put back into the oven. Bake until the Brazo de Mercedez is brown.